Power of the Pen Contest Rules:
- Entrants must be between the ages of 12 and 18 and be a resident of Southern Ontario.
- Do not put your name anywhere on your work. Your name must be on the entry form only.
- A maximum of one (1) poem and or one (1) short story per person may be submitted. If submitting both, each entry must have a separate entry form.
- Short stories cannot exceed 2,500 words in length. Poems may be any length.
- Entries must be typed or neatly printed, double-spaced and all pages numbered. Paper copies are required for mailed and hand-delivered submissions, but NOT for online submissions.
- Typed entries must be double-spaced, with font Arial or Times New Roman, size 11 or 12 point.
- All works submitted must be original. If based on another work (i.e. fanfiction), the work of inspiration must be clearly named.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Judged submissions will be available for pick-up the evening of the awards ceremony or during the month of January at Central Library.
- All entries will be scanned to ensure originality. Plagiarism will result in automatic disqualification.
- Hamilton Public Library is not responsible for lost, misdirected, misplaced, illegible, unintelligible, incomplete or late entries.
- Hamilton Public Library reserves the right to substitute the contest prizes with alternate prizes of equal or greater value.