Recognizing Excellence in Writing
An open and welcoming contest for Hamilton-area writers presented in partnership by Bryan Prince Bookseller and the Hamilton Public Library.
Calling Teen Writers
The Rotary Club of Hamilton AM Young Writers Prizes for Unpublished Writers 16 - 20 years old -- if you have never been published you may submit one poem or one short story or one piece of Creative Non-Fiction. Anyone who won a cash prize in 2017 should not enter in any category in 2018.
- Writers currently living in areas serviced by the Hamilton Public Library, excluding out-of-town borrowers
- 2017 SWP Winners in any category should skip a year before submitting again.
Submit your entry online. Choose the Young Writers: Unpublished writers 16 - 20 years old under Category
Submissions open May 2018 and close October 12, 2018.
- If you do not have computer access, drop your submission off to any of the Hamilton Public Library branches with the envelope clearly marked Short Works Prize / Attention: Marcel Faulkner, Central Library.
- Cost to enter: $0
- Entries will not be returned.
- Blind Judging: your name must not appear on the work we give to the jurors. Please do not include your name on the writing you submit. Your name should only appear on the submission form.
- Plagiarism will result in automatic disqualification.
The Short Works Prize is an open ethical community initiative recognizing excellence in writing. All submissions are reviewed by jurors who are responsible for identifying the top three entries in a given category (one juror per category). SWP uses blind judging. All jurors are professional writers and their decisions must be based on merit. A Charge is made to the jurors explaining their obligation to act ethically in their duties.
The SWP observes the Council of Literary Magazines & Presses Contest Code of Ethics and is for authors currently living in the areas serviced by the Hamilton Public Library. Out of town borrowers are not eligible. All entries will be scanned to ensure originality. Plagiarism will result in automatic disqualification.
SWP Promotional Partner:
Hamilton Arts & Letters magazine