Library cards are free to anyone living, working or studying in Hamilton. With your Library card you can:
- use any of the library branches in Hamilton
- borrow books, CDs, movies, magazines, video games and more
- access online resources such as newspapers, articles and special databases (consumer reports, auto repair, genealogy research)
- download eBooks, eAudiobooks, music, movies and magazines
- use library computers and printers
- use digital media labs and makerspace
Register at any HPL branch for a free Library Card with identification and proof of your current address. Acceptable forms of identification are:
- Valid driver's licence (permanent or temporary);
- Ontario Photo Card;
- or two pieces of current identification with at least one includes the applicant's current address
Types of Library cards:
For individuals who are 18 years or older
For individuals aged 14-17 years.
For individuals 13 years or younger, a Parent or Guardian must sign the Library card. Parents are responsible for their child’s use of all library resources.
For Parents and Guardians: Restriction of your child’s use of the Library, including our physical resources, digital resources, computers and wireless access to the Internet, is your responsibility. Children under the age of fourteen (14) require your signature to allow them borrowing privileges for all library materials, including print, media, and digital downloads. If you wish to restrict your child’s use of the Library, accompany your child to the Library, monitor the child’s use of our resources and borrow material with your library card.
Working in Hamilton: Individuals working in Hamilton but living elsewhere are eligible for a free Adult card with identification and proof of Hamilton employment.
Studying in Hamilton: Students attending an educational institution in Hamilton are eligible for a free library card with identification and a student card.
Own property in Hamilton: A non-resident taxpayer is eligible for a free Adult card with identification and a City of Hamilton Property Tax Bill.
For all other non-residents an annual fee of $40 is charged. Card is valid for one year.
- Access Card
- Institutional and Daycare
- Reciprocal Borrower
- School or Corporation
You are responsible for all materials borrowed on your library card. Library accounts are sent to a collection agency after 21 days when your card has reached $50.00 due to:
- Fines for overdue items and/or;
- Replacement fees for lost items
If your account is sent to the collection agency, a non-refundable fee of $15.00 will be added to your account.
If you lose your card, or need to change your address or contact information, contact us immediately by visiting a branch or calling 905-546-3200. Lost cards are $2 to replace.